Happy Wednesday! Did you get your workout in? I did! I got up extra early this morning so that I could do the new Bikini Cardio routine from the Tone It Up Bikini Series. Such a good routine, you should give it a try if you can, I was such a sweaty mess at the end!
One of the things I get asked most about is running. So I thought that I would share with you a few of my running tips for if you are just getting into running, if you would like to get into running but don't know where to start and if you are a seasoned runner maybe you'll pick up some tips! What I love most about running is it is free, you don't need to pay for the gym to run and anyone can do it. Yes even if you have never ran before, if you hated it at school in P.E ~ you can do it! Running is a great way to clear your mind and is a great way to start your day. I love the feeling of being out running when it seems like the rest of the world is sleeping.
- Music ~ This is a must have for me. I always run with music, something up beat to keep me going and lift me up when I get tired. At the moment I am loving Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding.
- Start slowly ~ One of the biggest mistakes people make is to push to hard before they are ready for it. This can lead to injury and no one wants that. Do your best and don't compare yourself to what others are doing
- Everyone started somewhere ~ Remember this when you take your first step out the door. If this is your first run go out and see what you can do in 15 minutes. If you need to walk then walk just do your best! The next time out set the goal of improving on this. If you are looking for a program to follow the Couch to 5k is a great place to start.
- Listen to your body ~ Going slow and at your own pace is important. You don't want to pick up an injury along the way. Set out to run a little further or a little longer than the last time you went out and you will soon love it.
- Don't give up ~ Running can be daunting but stick with it. I promise you, you might hate it at first but you will love and crave running soon enough.
- Stretching ~ It is very important to stretch before and after your run. A lot of people forget to stretch afterwards, I know I used to be guilty of this and I would be so sore the next day. Stretch it out and it will help your muscles cool down and recover. If you are looking for a stretching routine try this one.
- Refuelling ~ After your run you need water and protein. Your body needs lean protein to recover and repair muscles ~ try some granola and Greek yoghurt or a protein shake.
- Hydration ~ Make sure you are hydrated, remember that when you sweat your body loses electrolytes so you need to replace them by re-hydrating after a run. I also love coconut water for post run recovery :)
- Correct footwear ~ The most important thing when you are running is wearing the correct trainers. There is nothing worse than your feet being uncomfortable when you run. Proper fit is different for everyone so I would recommend going to a running shop and getting properly fitted. Did you know that your feet swell when you run? For that reason I usually buy trainers which are half a size larger than normal as it helps to accommodate for this and prevents blisters and rubbing.
- Wear something comfortable ~ I love my Lululemon crops and long sleeve top for running in, light and comfortable so I don't get too hot. You would never catch me running in jogging bottoms and a hoodie, I would overheat! As my Dad would say ~ if you are cold, run faster! ;) A good sports bra is a must as well, I love Nike and Under Armour.
- Have fun ~ Most important, enjoy what you are doing and smile! You'll feel amazing from that runners high.
If you are new to running or even if you have been running for years I hope this post is helpful. Let me know how you get on!