Christmas is almost here and along with it comes work nights out, family gatherings and lots rich (but tasty) food. It is so easy to surrender to a month of indulgence at the time of year but don't give up and think about dealing with it in 2014 by undoing all the hard work you have put in this year. You have got this! These are my top tips for staying fit and staying slim during the holidays...
Water into wine?!
- Drink a glass of water for every alcoholic drink you consume, your liver and head will thank you in the morning.
- Don't forget that drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps to keep away those cravings, so you won't be tempted to snack on crisps at 11pm!
- Try replacing sugary mixers with soda water, that way you aren't drinking extra calories with your refreshment. One of my favourite go to drinks is vodka, soda water and fresh lime.
- Working out during the holiday season is one of my secret weapons for staying level headed during last minute shopping, busy work days and of course family dramas! Exercising releases those 'happy' hormones called endorphins which will take you away from any drama in your life.
- Remember to breathe! Take five minutes out just to focus on taking in deep breathes and refocusing your mind. You will be surprised how much this helps you to refocus!
- Maximise your workout with a HIIT workout (high intensity interval training). When time is of the essence and there are exciting parties to attend the last thing you want to do is spend hours in the gym so I find that HIIT workouts are quick, efficient and effective.
- It can be easy at this time of the year to indulge in an extra slice of cake or another spoonful of potatoes so it's more important to watch what you put on your plate. Remember to load up on veggies, try to make sure that half your plate is full of vegetables, a quarter protein and a quarter starches. That way you have a balanced plate but a taste of everything and you're not missing out.
- Don't feel guilty about eating a chocolate or two just don't eat the whole box! Share them with friends.