Breathe. Move. Rinse. Repeat.
Let's face it. Life can get pretty crazy. Sometimes things are going so fast you always feel like you are two steps behind. It can leave you feeling stressed, anxious and burnt out. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed the past couple of weeks so this month I am taking things back to basics.
Meditation is a great way to calm the chatter of your busy mind and relax your body. It also allows the universe to do it's thing and point us in the right direction. Finding calm in the chaos.
The beautiful thing about meditation is that you don't need to sit in any funny positions or be in stillness for hours of end. Just five minutes can make a whole lot of difference. During my yoga teacher training we meditated every day. It allowed me to see clearly, the clouds shifted and I could see my true path. That's why I need to go back to basics with meditation this month. So each day after my yoga practice I will sit in stillness and follow my breath. I like to pop on some music which helps me to focus but everyone is different.
if you are totally new to meditation here is a simple meditation you can do -
- Clear the room of any distractions - no phones, computers or TV!
- You could set a timer as to how long you wish to meditate for or meditation for the length of a couple (or more) songs if you are using music.
- Sit in a cross legged position on the floor or your yoga mat.
- Lengthen your spine, sink the sit bones into the earth below you and allow any tension you are holding in your jaw to melt away.
- Soften your gaze or close your eyes completely.
- Take three deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Reseal your lips.
- Continue to breath in and out through your nose, following your breath. Perhaps focusing on lengthening the breath so that the inhales and exhales are of equal length.
- Stay in this meditation for as long as you'd like.
- When you are ready to release your practice slowing bring the hands together at the heart centre. Seal your practice by bowing forward.
- Take your time to get up.