I'm back after a mini break from all things blog and YouTube. If you have been following me on Instagram or Snapchat (@jaynebecca) you will have seen a few little snapshots of the last week - if not, come follow along! I snapchatted the process for making raw vegan bounty bars (recipe below), it's a lot of fun and I kinda think of it like vlogging! Following the amazingness which was the Devon Yoga Retreat I needed a little time to recharge myself and as Matt was off work this week it was the perfect time to take a break. It also helped me to re-evaluate a few things.
First up is my personal yoga practice - I have a pretty strong self practice but the problem for me is generally time. On most days I often ended up sleeping in late as I had been teaching classes until 8:30/9pm which meant I didn't get home until after that. I'm a little bit of a night owl and I would just procrastinate until 12am and then go to bed, which of course led to sleepyness and late starts, which in turn led to me squeezing in/ rushing or skipping my own yoga practice during the day. Not good right? So I'm making a point of getting back into old habits - bed by 11pm with my book (which usually means I'm zonked out within 10 minutes) and rise and shine between 7/ 7:30am. Hot lemon water, yoga practice for 60-90 minutes, shower, breakfast. The perfect way to start the morning.
Secondly is social media. I am making an effort to spend less time scrolling through social media first thing in the morning or last thing at night - especially in the mornings. I love my mornings. I think sometimes we can spend far too long on social media in general so for me I'm doing my best to be off the computer/ Instagram/ emails by 10pm and not log on until 10am. That way I can read, catch up with my favourite TV shows, chill out, do yoga without distractions and spend time with my always supportive boyfriend.
Thirdly is cooking. I love to cook and Tracy - our raw food chef from the retreat weekend - inspired me to be more creative in the kitchen. That's where this recipe came from! I was looking for something easy to make for Matt's birthday and I had recently been sent some pure cacao bars to review (#BloggerPerks #NoOneTurnsDownCacao) so I thought why not create some raw chocolates?! This recipe is loosely based on the recipe found in the Yoga Girl book, which I highly recommend picking up if you haven't already!
Raw Vegan Bounty Bars - Ingredients
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1/2 a cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 bar of Arawak Pure Cacao melted
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Melt the coconut oil and cacao. Then add the Himalayan salt and 5 tablespoons of maple syrup, pour in the coconut cream and mix until smooth. Pour half of the chocolate mixture into a brownie pan and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the shredded coconut with 3 tablespoons of maple syrup until it becomes a thick paste.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and spread the coconut mixture on top. Top with the remaining chocolate mixture. Place the pan back into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Then cut into pieces and enjoy! Sharing with your friends is totally optional ;) Keep in the fridge as the chocolate will melt pretty quickly if left out for too long.
I will be back later in the week with a retreat recap, a fun giveaway and a brand new video on Friday!