I love Christmas. It is by far one of my favourite times of the year. I love to take time out, unplug, read (a lot), do yoga (well, duh), exchange gifts and of course spend time with my family. I know that sometimes the holiday season can get a little hectic so here are a few tips to keep you healthy and in the Christmas spirit!
- Do Yoga - This could be kinda obvious for all you yogis out there but do you ever find yourself making an excuse not to go to yoga? Try not to skip class or your home practice... remember in order to give to others you must take care of yourself.
- Eat Well - It can be tempting with all the treats around to snack on chocolate and cake all day long but this will leave you feeling tired and sluggish. I know that if you work in an office these are the worst places to be around Christmas time so bring your own healthy snacks. You can even offer them to others as an alternative! This doesn't mean you shouldn't indulge at all - balance is key! So have a slice of yummy chocolate cake but make sure to balance it out with a green smoothie the next day.
- Take a Hike - I love to go out for a long walk with the family at this time of the year. I am so lucky in that my family lives right around the corner from the beautiful fells and lakes of The Lake District so we often take a walk to get some fresh air and walk off the Christmas food. If you don't have the Lakes on your doorstep you can simply take a walk around the local park or head down to the beach.
- Unplug - This is something I am trying to implement more into my daily life but especially around Christmas it is a great idea to take a break from your digital devices... after all no one likes to be around someone who has their phone glued to their faces or 'has to take a photo for Instagram'. Live in the present and enjoy the moment!
- Help Others - Christmas is the time of giving so it's a good time to do something for others. You'll probably have some spare time around Christmas so make time to help a charity, visit an elderly relative or neighbour or make a care package up for someone in need.
This blog post was written in collaboration with Om Yoga Magazine as I am a Om Yoga Blogger. You can read the full article Yoga Survival guide to Christmas' in the December issue of Om Yoga. This post is written by me, all words are my own.
Let's talk - What are your tips for surviving the holidays?