Happy New Year! I have had a relaxing week taking time away from leading yoga classes and the blog for the holidays. I had planned to film videos and write blog posts but I decided I really needed the time and space to spend time with my family and my always supportive husband Matt. However today is my first day back at 'work' aka girl bossing it up, so that means I am back to blogging! I thought that the first post of 2017 would be a great time to reflect on JBY's 2016.
Related: Year in Review 2015
JBY Yoga Classes, Workshops and Retreats
I love love love the little yogi community we have built in our weekly yoga classes. I am currently leading nine regular classes each week alongside workshops and private classes. I feel that for me this is enough. I often get asked to do more but I think that if I did I would burn out and no one wants that. In 2016 I led four workshops and THREE retreats!
- January - Vinyasa Flow 'Say Yes' Workshop
- March - Spring Yoga and Raw Food Workshop Retreat
- April - Strala Yoga 'Fly with Love' Inversion Flow Workshop
- June - Devon Summer Yoga Retreat
- July - All the Spaces In Between, an arm balance workshop
- October - Devon Autumn Yoga Retreat
- November - Hard Poses Made Easy - an arm balance workshop
Considering I planned a wedding, got married and travelled to Hawaii on honeymoon during 2016 I am so darn proud as to what I have achieved in my yogi business.
Top Posts of 2016
Although I wasn't 100% on my blogging game this year - *cough* I planned a wedding, something had to give ;) - I love writing content, being creative and connecting with you all. Here are the most popular posts of 2016 and some reflections on each.
- The Health Benefits of Reflexology and My Treatment - I put a lot of research into this post so I am glad it did so well, I love learning about different holistic treatments.
- My Yoga Morning - I loved creating this video as it is a little different to the videos I usually create. I always love seeing insights into other peoples personal practice so it makes sense that this post would be popular! I want to share more of my personal practice on Instagram this year.
- How to do Wheel Pose - I enjoy writing these posts of pose breakdowns as I feel it is always insightful to be able to do into more depth and step by step instruction than a flow video.
- I'm Married! Chit Chat and All That - Ahhh my first post as a married woman! I love sharing personal updates on the blog and I think the photo on this post just sums up the magic of the whole day!
- How to do Flying Pigeon Pose - One of my very favourite arm balances and one of those poses I thought was totally out of my reach.
- We're Engaged! - Clearly you guys are all over the marriage and engagement posts, I was so excited to share this happy piece of news on the blog. Maybe I should share our engagement story.
- January Vinyasa Flow Playlist - I love sharing my playlists on the blog as one of my most asked questions after class is - what was that song?!
Highs and Lows
- It will come at no surprise to you that the biggest highlight for me personally of 2016 was getting married and travelling to Hawaii on our honeymoon! Matt and I have been together for eleven years, ten when we got married, it was the most picture perfect day and I planned it all in under four months! If you haven't yet seen our beautiful wedding video then check it out.
- On a yoga business front I am super proud of my yoga retreats. These weekends take a lot of work to put together. We have a beautiful venue in Devon that we have been returning to season after season and they really are the most perfect escape.
- All years come with their lows. In March I lost my Grandad, I was very close to him and I miss him everyday. It hit me hard. I'm just so thankful that I had him in my life for all of my childhood and a huge part of my adult life. He taught me to be strong, to be business savvy and to expect the best.
JBY YouTube Channel
I love creating videos but I do feel that the YouTube channel could do with some extra TLC this year. I'm still trying to work out how to grow the channel so in the meantime if you haven't done so already please subscribe to the channel - it really does help! If you have any requests for upcoming videos let me know and I will see what I can do.
Looking ahead to 2017
I am so excited as to what is to come in 2017, I'm also nervous and my head is full of ideas.
- Retreats - I am leading two retreats in Devon during Spring and Summer this year. I would love to put on an Autumn retreat as well. If you are interested in upcoming retreats then please do fill this out as I would love to have your input. FYI - The summer retreat is almost full and the Spring early bird ends at the end of the month.
- The Blog - I just want to keep writing, sharing and creating content. I am planning on doing a wedding series as it was something which I wanted to do while was planning our wedding but as I had less than four months from setting the date to the big day it got pushed to the side. That's okay though as it means I have a ton of beautiful pictures ready to share! As always if there is anything you want to see on the blog, yoga, wedding or other then just leave me a comment below.
- Travel more - I want to see the world! We have a few trips in mind for 2017 so I am looking forward to more adventures and of course sharing them on the blog!
I'd love to know your highlights from the past year. What goals do you have for 2017? Let's chat in the comments below.