Happy Friday loves! So a couple of weeks ago in my local classes we explored grasshopper pose, it is a big arm balance - this one is no joke! It requires, core strength, open hips and a big twist. Not to forget that it looks like one hell of a pretzel pose. The foundation prep pose for this one is standing pigeon pose so if you are simply working towards grasshopper pose or any other arm balances (like flying pigeon pose) standing pigeon pose is a great one to hang out in and pop into your home practice on a regular basis.
Tips for Grasshopper Pose:
- Make sure that the hips are open enough before attempting this pose. Try this video for a deep hip opening flow.
- Use your core strength and intercostal muscles to lift the body up, so that you are perched on the arms rather than putting your full weight onto them.
- Press out of the bottom of the floating foot and spread the toes.
- Grip the mat as if you are digging your hands into wet sand.
- Gaze out in front to begin, no behind.
- Don't forget to breathe!
Let me know how you get on the the comments! Are there any other poses you would like to see broken down?