Last week after yoga class one of my yogis asked me to put together a video explaining how to step your foot to the top of the mat from downward facing dog. A lot of the time during flow classes I see that people get stuck halfway - if that's you then this video has your name on it! I explain a few tricks that help. I always go from downward facing dag to three legged dog then step the foot forwards, so that is what I have demoed in this video. I personally think that the three legged dog to step forwards is easier and works with natural movement compared to moving straight from down dog.
How to Step Forward From Down Dog
- Check down down dog - make sure that the fingers are spread wide and you are actively pushing the yoga mat away from you, shoulders are engaged and you are not dumping all your weight into your wrists and your hands. Think about lengthening through the lower back and lifting the hips up.
- Lift your leg into three legged dog then bring the knee towards the chest as much as you can while still pushing the mat away with your hands.
- Engage the core. Think about lifting the belly button in and up.
- Shift the shoulders forwards, still pushing the mat away from you then place the foot in between your hands.
- Stay slow and controlled - don't rush it and stay with your breath.
I hope that these tips help! Keep practising and working on your core strength especially for this transition. If you have any questions or comments leave them below or find me on social media.